Lamb, cut into ½ inch cubes 1 kg
Lean lamb mince 500g
Desi ghee ¼ cup
Green cardamom 8
Cinnamon (2 inches) 2
Bay leaf 2
Onion, finely chopped ¾ cup
Ginger, finely chopped ¾ tbs
Garlic, finely chopped 1 ½ tbs
Coriander powder 1 tbs
Red chilli powder 1 ½ tsp
Garam masala 1 ¼ tsp
Whole wheat flour 300 gm
Saffron ¼ tsp
Lemon juice 1 tbs
Salt to taste
1. Heat ghee in a heavy pan, add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaves and sauté on low heat until they crackle.
2. Add onion, increase heat to medium, sauté until light golden; add ginger and garlic, and sauté until golden.
3. Stir in mince and sauté for 2-3 mins; add ¾ cup water, bring to boil, cover and cook until lamb is almost cooked.
4. Sprinkle coriander powder, salt and red chilli powder. Stir and cook on low heat 2-3 mins. Add garam masala, stir. Take off heat and leave to cool.
5. Grind the cooked lamb lightly on the stone grinder or in a blender to form a paste.
6. Transfer to a bowl, sieve in flour, add dissolved saffron, lemon juice and knead to a semi-soft dough.
7. Divide into 8-10 equal portions, roll out and cook on the griddle/tawa.
8. Apply desi ghee and serve hot.
• Lamb mince must be fat free.
• Lamb mince should not be cooked too dry. Some moisture should be retained.
• To form the paste, do not grind more than once on a grinding stone and 4 - 5 times in a blender with very short intervals.
• If the cooked lamb mince does not have moisture, add a little water or lamb stock to form the dough.
• Griddle / Tawa should be moderately hot.